Sunday, September 16, 2007

Once Upon a Child stinks!

I love consignment stores, thrift stores and yard sales. This is my experience with the Once Upon a Child chain.

Here's how it went:

Lugged in a box.
Her "Can I help you ma'am?"
Me "Yes, I have some things to trade"
Her "We aren't taking any clothes size newborn to 24 months"
Me, a little surprised "Okaaaay. Well I have a co-sleeper, a microwave steam sterilizer, and a question about how you guys take crib sets"
Her "We don't take anything that has a stain on it"
Me, looking over at the overpriced faded and stained bouncer seat on the shelf priced at $22.. whatever, let's play this game.."Well, the crib set is in very good condition, and I have a ton of extras to go with it"
Her "We only take crib sets if we have an empty crib to put them up in"
Me, I look over at the 3 or 4 bagged crib sets on the shelf to the right of her and raise my eyebrows.
Her, "Well... we aren't supposed to"
Me, " that's fine then, how about the co-sleeper and sterilizer?"
Her, opening the co-sleeper" we can't take that... see the stain"
Me, "where???"
Her, "Right there, that spot in the corner, That's s stain"
Me, getting tired of this bored high schooler who has obviously decided to use me to make her day more entertaining "Fine then. You won't take it, how about the sterilizer?" I should have just walked out *sigh*
Her, "Let me check the computer"
I wait and she comes back, offers me $5.16 for it. I take it and go to find my friend, who has missed the excitement.

What a horrible first experience with a store. I did actually look around, but let me tell you, I will not be going back. I looked for pants for Jonas. They had old faded sweat pants and were charging $4.50- $6.50 a pair. To me, that's not a bargain. Craig's List, here I come!

2 comments:

Raquel said...

I tried to take a stroller into one of those places and they told me to vacuum it before I came back... and then they MIGHT take it. I too browsed for goodies and I thought to myself, "I could get this crap NEW at the GAP for this price!" fauggetabboutit.

Rhianna said...

Woah dejavu. I completely agree with you. Horrible store. I have been nothing but dissapointed with them and the way they take advantage of their customers.